Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Very Sad Loss of DH-84 Dragon VH-UXG - RIP Des Porter and Passengers - And Thanks for the Memories


My family and I were very saddened to hear of the passing of Des Porter, as well as the other passengers, that were on board his DH-84 Dragon VH-UXG that crashed in the Sunshine Coast hinterland on Monday 3 October.  I thought that I would just post a few photos to share some of my memories of Des, and his pride-and-joy VH-UXG 'Riama'.

I knew Des from when I was still living in Brisbane - he was the mechanic for my Mum's car - and as a person, he was very warm and accommodating towards her, and assisted her many times with her little old car that Des quite possibly single-handedly kept it on the road!



I've only seen VH-UXG at the Old Station Fly-in at Raglan near Rockhampton in 2007, 2011, and in 2012, and at a couple of these show, had a pleasure of catching up with Des for a chat about aviation.  This year, I was even fortunate to secure a seat on one Des's many joyflights that he flew during the Fly-in, raising money for local charities.


During the flight, Des pointed out some of the scenery near the Old Station farm, and provided a brief history of 'Riama' and its rebuild after the 1954 accident that claimed his father.  After the joyflight, we continued to chat until Des had to leave to finally get a chance to sit down and eat something - he had been operating joyflights all day with a break except to refuel the plane!


Des was obviously a very generous man - with this time and with his money - he always stopped to chat with people - even strangers - at these fly-ins - as well as catch up with the hundreds of people that knew him in aviation circles.

Des also operated joyflights during the NORRA-Aus Fly-in at Monto last weekend, and reportedly made over $10000 for local charities, including the AGL Action Rescue Helicopter Service, which was then extensively involved in the search for VH-UXG.

My family's and my sincerest condolences go out to all the family and friends of the victims of this terrible incident.  Thanks for the memories, Des.  RIP

No comments:

Post a Comment