Interesting to note that for the week starting Monday 15 August, Virgin Australia seem to be launching 'triangular' services between Gladstone and Rockhampton Airports from and back to Brisbane, as well as Rockhampton and Mackay Airports also from and back to Brisbane.
The services will be a combination of ATR 72 turboprops, along with Embraer E-190 and Boeing B737-800 jets.
According to the Virgin Australia schedules for this week on their website:
- At least one early morning service from Brisbane to Rockhampton will stop at Gladstone
- Some late evening services from Brisbane to Mackay will stop at Rockhampton
- At least one late evening flight from Brisbane to Townsville will stop at Rockhampton
- At least one late evening service from Rockhampton to Brisbane will stop at Gladstone
- And finally, at least one early morning Gladstone to Brisbane service can connect through Rockhampton.
I haven't seen anything 'official' about this and it appears that the Virgin Australia schedules on their website reflect these re-routings for this week only.
We shall see what crops up for the week commencing Monday 22 August.